What to do if you touch a poisonous plant


It’s easy to confuse poisonous plants with harmless ones—for example, poison ivy looks a lot like regular oak leaves. But identifying poisonous plants in your area so you can avoid them is crucial: touching certain kinds of plants can result not only in severe itching but also nausea and vomiting.

What do you do if you touch poison?

If you do come into contact with a poisonous plant, be sure to wash your hands and body thoroughly with soap and water. Wash the affected area for at least 10 minutes; the longer you can leave it in, the better. If possible, avoid getting any of that plant’s sap or resin on other parts of your body—this will help prevent further exposure during cleanup.

After washing thoroughly, rinse yourself off with water or rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining contaminants from your skin (though alcohol may dry out your skin). You can also use one of several methods mentioned above: bleach solutions work well against many toxins; vinegar solutions neutralize alkaloids like nicotine; baking soda paste helps break down oils and resins; dilute vinegar can also act as an effective astringent liquid if applied directly before rinsing with water.

How do you treat plant poisoning in humans?

If you come into contact with a poisonous plant, you can help treat the symptoms by washing the affected area with soap and water. Rinse your eyes with clean water if they’ve been exposed to plant toxins. Take a shower as soon as possible to remove any remaining chemicals on your skin, and continue showering for several hours after you have been exposed. If you experience swelling or blistering, seek medical attention immediately.

  • Do not use alcohol to clean the affected area because it can cause additional irritation and delay healing time
  • Don’t use ice either, because this can cause more damage to sensitive tissues

How can you tell if a plant has been poisoned?

If you do touch a poisonous plant, the first sign of exposure will likely be a distinctive rash. The plant will release its toxins through your skin and into your bloodstream, causing an allergic reaction that results in an itchy rash. It’s also possible to get this kind of rash if you eat the fruit or leaves of poisonous plants as they contain thorns and spines that can irritate your throat and mouth.

If you think you’ve been exposed to poison ivy or another toxic plant, wash the area immediately with soap and water. An ice pack may help reduce swelling or itching from a mild reaction; for severe reactions see a doctor immediately. If possible, have someone take photos of what happened so there is no question about what caused it afterward!

What do plant rashes look like?

Plant rashes can be a sign of several things. First, you should know that plant rashes are not always dangerous. While a rash may be an indication of an allergic reaction or toxic reaction, it can also be caused by sunburn or skin infections. Here are some signs that you have a plant rash:

  • Redness and swelling in the affected area
  • Pain or itching in the affected area
  • Blisters, sores, or open wounds


The most important thing to remember is that it’s not a bad idea to touch plants in the wild. In fact, it’s a great way to get closer with nature! Just be sure to know what you’re doing before you do anything else.Click here to know more- poisonoakandivy.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top